Routers can be used to Block Unwanted Websites, this is mostly done by parents to put up parental controls restricting their children’s access to certain sites. And also some corporate companies block websites like social websites and malware websites. For unencrypted websites, it’s easy to do so by changing the Security or Access settings. On the other hand, encrypted websites need an external agent. Free services like OpenDNS can help you in filtering sites.
To Block Unwanted Websites From The Router, Follow The Steps Given Below:
- Check whether the site is encrypted (begins with an https://)
- If it is not encrypted, then Enter the Router’s IP address in the web browser and go to the Configuration page.
- Login to your router configuration site.
Different Company Routers Have Different IP Addresses. Some Such Examples Are:
- D-Link/NETGEAR – https://192.168.0.1
- ASUS – https://192.168.50.1/
- AT&T U-verse – https://192.168.1.1
- Login to your router configuration site. The default username is usually “admin” and the default password is usually “admin or blank.
- After logging in, find the “Security” or “Access Restrictions” subsections to block or filter sites.
- Find the “URL Blocking” Section and enter the URLs for the domains you wish to block out. Remember, sites which are encrypted cannot be blocked by this.
- Then, save your changes.
If It Is Encrypted, Then How to Block Unwanted Websites:
- Sign up for free at https://www.opendns.com/home-internet-security/
- Enter the Router’s IP address in the web browser and go to the Configuration page.
Different company routers have different IP addresses. Some such examples are –
- D-Link/NETGEAR – https://192.168.0.1
- ASUS – https://192.168.50.1/
- AT&T U-verse – https://192.168.1.254
- Log in to your router’s administrator account. Unless the password and username have been changed, the default settings will work.
- Find the “WAN” or “Internet Settings” subsection. This may be under the “Basic Setup” section in the configuration menu.
- Disable the automatic DNS settings to be able to change them the way you want to.
Also Read: 192.168.11 Login Password
Enter The OpenDNS Server Addresses As Per Given in The Two Fields Provided:
- Save the changes you have made.
- Log in to your OpenDNS account. Click on the “Settings” tab and enter the IP address of your home network.
- Go to the “Web Content Filtering” Section. Upon choosing the priority, which ranges from Low to High, add in the specific websites you want blocked under “Manage Individual Domains”.
- There is a limit of 25 websites on this. Ensure that the settings reflect “Always Block” for all of them.
- For your settings to be effective immediately, get rid of the DNS cache by flushing it. This happens automatically after a while but to ensure immediate effect, you can do it manually.
After the procedure is finished, remember to test the settings by trying to access blocked sites. If it works, everything is fine. If it doesn’t, repeat the process all over again going through every step carefully in case you missed something. Test again. If it still doesn’t work, contact the helpline.
Different companies have different helpline services for Block Unwanted Websites. They should be mentioned at the back of the router or on the box. Otherwise, you can find their contact information on the Internet.
Netgear is a popular multi-national company that provides hardware and networking equipment of high quality. Many people choose to buy products from this brand and apart from D-link, iball and other popular brands; this is also preferred in the networking industry. If you are having a router which you have recently purchased then you need to change the default admin password of the router and also do configuration settings. This is important for security purposes and also to make optimum and personalized use of the router. If you are not good at networking and do not know how to manage your router, then we will provide you with a step by step guide to set passwords and make settings to your Netgear router.
How To Change Netgear Router Password?
There are several methods to change the password of the router of the Netgear Company. Three most popular ones are mentioned here.
Method 1: If You Want To Change The Netgear Router wifi Password or Network Name i.e. SSID:
- Step1: First you must launch a browser and then enter the URL as https://www.routerlogin.net in the address bar section.
- Step2: You will see a screen where you will be prompted to enter the username and password.
- Step3: If you have not set the password till now then you must use the default credentials which are admin and password. Then click OK.
- Step4: You will see the home page that displays the BASIC tab. Select wireless on this page.
- Step5: You would be asked to enter the username in the SSID or name field and then enter a new password in the Password or Network Key field.
- Step6: Click on Apply and your settings will be saved and now you can use your new password for login purposes.
Note: If after changing the password the device disconnects from the wifi then you must check the available wireless networks once again and enter the new password to log in.
Also Read: 192.168.1.1 Admin Login
Method 2: To Change The Netgear Router wifi Password or Username i.e. SSID Using the Smart Wizard Method:
Step1: Open a browser window and enter the URL https://www.routerlogin.net into the address bar.
Step2: You will be prompted to enter the username and password. If you have not changed the default credentials then use admin as username and password as the password.
Step3: After you are logged in you will see the option of Wireless Settings under Setup.
Step4: Change the name and/or password that you want to change. Click on Apply and your changes would be saved.
Method 3: How to Change The Admin Password of The Netgear Router?
If you buy a Netgear router then it would come with default settings of the router. You can access the configuration section of the router using the web address routerlogin.com and then you will get the router’s interface using the username and password as admin and password respectively. You can change the default password in order to improve the network security. Follow these steps to change the password:
- Step1: Launch the browser using a wireless device or a computer connected to the router.
- Step2: enter the URL for Netgear router as https://routerlogin and then enter the username and password.
- Step3: After you are logged in then go to Advanced tab and then Administration and Set Password.
- Step4: You will have to enter the old password and a new password and then confirm the new password.
- Step5: If you need assistance in recovering your password in future then select the option of Enable Password Recovery. Click on Apply and your settings will be saved.
These are some methods to set Netgear router password.